Monday, July 29, 2013

Characteristics of a Christian Woman: Modesty

This week I spent some time with the word pride. The exact opposite of pride is humility & I touched on that last week, but I felt that God still wanted me to keep going on this. I was led to modesty.

Modesty is being reserved about yourself in a humble matter in regards to the way you present yourself, your behavior, clothing, & words.

Modesty is the opposite of pride. God does not like pride, in fact He strongly dislikes it. I used James 4:6 last week & I will use it again this week so stress my point.

James 4:6 -- God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.

He opposes the proud. He disapproves those who are prideful. I know I don't want God to disapprove of me. And I never considered myself a prideful person until I was reading this week & thought wow, I do harbor a lot of pride. When I first think of pride I think, oh someone that thinks they are better than someone else & always has to be right. Whereas I know I do like to be right a lot, but I never thought it was an overbearing way. Well regardless, I should never push the issue of oh I am right even when I am. That is not acting out of love.

This week God told me that pride = a justification of ones own actions as well as it leads to bitterness & resentment. Oh hello Tiffany so nice to meet you. I am prideful, now I would like to say goodbye to this behavior.

I want to be modest woman. A woman that is humble in the words I speak, the way I dress, rid any bitterness I have, & quit justifying things.

Timothy 2:9 ESV -- Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control





2 comments:

  1. Such an important reminder! I needed it this morning!! Love that C.S. Lewis quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good I am glad that that you needed to hear this, this morning!

      Delete