Thursday, February 28, 2013

Shock and Awe

Last night, after I gave my 7 month old son a bath and put him in his PJs, I sat down and started scrolling through Facebook. I live in Arizona and all of my family and most of my friends live in Michigan or Indiana. Facebook is kind of my way of keeping up with their lives. Little did I know that what I read... would create a shock and awe in my heart.

My junior year at Bethel College in Mishawaka, Indiana I roomed with 3 other girls, all of them golfers. I was the odd one out, being a cheerleader. I didn't know them well, had just had a few classes with one of the girls the previous year and found out they needed a 4th roommate. Throughout the year, getting to know these girls was such a blessing. They were so sweet and we shared life together for a time. A few years ago, one of them lost their mom in a solo car accident in Michigan. It was before she got engaged or even married. Tonight, I learned that another roommate, Kayla, lost her husband suddenly.

They have an 11 month old daughter.

I can't even begin to imagine. I instantly called my husband, who had just left our house to head to our church to help with youth group, and told him how much I loved him. I asked him to be careful as he drove and not be looking at his phone or be in a hurry. I can't imagine losing my husband, and I felt that I needed to to him for the 13th time today that I loved him. But as I sat there reading these posts about how people were shocked to learn this news, how their hearts go out to the family... the most important thing I read was... "Brad is with Jesus. Thank God for his salvation."

Do you know where you're going when God decides your time on Earth is through?

Jesus says in the Bible that He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. There is no other way to the Father (God), except through Jesus. Jesus commands us to love him with all our heart, all our soul, and all our strength. That is the greatest commandment. In John, Jesus tells us that in Heaven, His Father's house, there are many mansions built for those coming to live with Him eternally. Jesus died the most excruciating death ever recorded, on a cross, for the sins that anyone has ever committed or will ever commit. BECAUSE HE LOVES US AND WANTS TO SPEND ETERNITY WITH US.

But that means we have to take action. Do you know Jesus? Do you have a personal relationship with Him? If He were to take you from this Earth tomorrow, do you know where you're going?

I do. Praise God, I do.

God asks us to come to Him, with honest, open hearts; to ask forgiveness of the sins we've committed. If you want to live a life that brings glory to God, ask Him to fill your heart and come into your life. God will help you live out His commandments and teachings. But you have to be willing to let go of yourself, to be on fire for Christ and sharing Him with others; you have to learn to change. The reward is so great my friends. God is so great. We may not understand His ways, His timing, or why He allows things to happen. But His blessings and His love for people is amazing.

Jesus loves you.



No comments:

Post a Comment