Monday, November 26, 2012

Are you as forgiving as you want to be?

Forgiveness...

This seems to be a touchy subject sometimes. There is not one person in the world that doesn't classify themselves as forgiving. We all think we all like to think we are forgiving people & honestly there are a lot of people out there that are. But forgiving in every single aspect of their life?

The car driver that ran them off the road? The mother or father that beat them when they were little? The husband or wife that suffered from alcoholism ruining their marriage? That drunk driver that killed your kid? That cancer that took a loved one right out of their life? That person that spread nasty rumors about you?

Matthew 5:44-45 -- Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you & persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven.

Situations get tough sometimes & even in those times, people still need to forgive the one that made the mistake. Jesus clearly states this in the Bible.

We strive to forgive those who do wrong to us, or at least we say we do. God gave us Jesus to completely wipe away our sins, now that is what forgiveness is all about.

Matthew 6:14-15 -- For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Sometimes I get bitter or angry toward someone & what it ultimately boils down to is forgiveness. I know sometimes it's not easy & sometimes you think well why should I forgive them? But you should. It will be the best thing you've ever done.

Stormie Omartian put it this way in her book, Power of a Praying Woman, "Forgiveness is actually the best revenge because it not only sets us free from the person we forgive, but it frees us to move into all God has for us."

Take a moment & pray... Pray if there is any unforgiveness in your heart & that God can reveal that to you.

When God reveals that to you, let it go. Let it go to Him. He will solve it all. It may not be easy, actually it will be hard. And you know the next time you see that person that you are striving to forgive, you may have to forgive them.. Again.. And again.

Matthew 18: 21-22 -- Then Peter came to Jesus & asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times."

2 comments:

  1. Very thought proviking post. One of the true tests for me is asking myself, "Can I pray for this person?" If my answer is no, if I cannot truly pray for their temporal or eternal best good, than how can I say that I have forgiven them. If I can't pray for their freedom in Christ, than I am still bound by unforgiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh oh. I was thinking that I hope that I am...but I just read Sybil's comment...and she's right. A lot of times I still can't bring myself to pray for that person which means I'm not as awesome as I thought!

    ReplyDelete