Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Being Intentional: Trusting in God

Trust.
It's a word and an action that I've had to deal with in my life. I don't trust easily, but I'm much better at it now than I used to be. Trust comes in different forms for different reasons in life. Not only trusting in God but in people. When you've been hurt, let down, disappointed...you may have issues with trust. If you have been cheated on, bullied, or not received something you were promised... you may have issues with trust. Maybe you deal with worry and anxiety. If you worry about your future, your family and friends, or decisions... you may have issues with trust.

Trust. 
 Humans... can't be someone we put our ultimate trust in. They are not perfect and no matter how much we put our hope and trust into a human, they will let us down at some point. My story is that I was emotional crushed by a boy I loved in high school and trusted very much. He was a part of my life for a long time, and someone who I saw my future with. I put all my heart, soul, and trust into him until I discovered something he had been hiding from me for two years. It broke my heart to know that I could no longer trust that person. It was a major event in my life that changed the way I trusted people, especially men. I eventually forgave that person, and sometimes am reminded that I need to forgive again. (Thank you Tiffany for your post on forgiveness - I needed that reminder!) 

But trusting in God? God is someone we can trust. He will never leave us or forsake us. And NOTHING can separate us from His love. His Word specifically says in Psalms to not put our trust in men or princes. The Bible guides us about trusting and relying in Him:

"Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken." Psalm 55:22

"Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken." Psalm 62:6

"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure everything out on your own. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track. Don't assume you know it all. Run to God! Run from evil! Your body will glow with health, your very bones will vibrate with life!" 
Proverbs 3:5-6 The Message

Trust.
Wanna know something I really struggle with? Worry and anxiety. I used to have panic attacks when I felt something wrong physically in my body. I worry about my 4 month old and his health and safety.. I worry about my health and decisions in my life.. I worry about finances, about natural disasters, about losing a loved one, etc, etc. You know what the Bible says about those things? They are sins! God did not worry... God did not have anxiety. Worry is not an attribute of Christ... worry is a form of doubt which is from Satan. Satan does not want us to trust in God, because that means God is winning. Know what Satan - too bad for you. God wins anyways! But God does not call us to live with the burdens of anxiety; Christ commands us to release worry and anxiety and to lay our cares at His feet... TRUSTING that He will take care of our needs.

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?" Matthew 6:25-27

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

My challenge to you is to write out 3-5 verses on seperate notecards about trusting God and put them in places you'll be able to read them often. Check out this website listing 50 verses on worrying. Use these notecards to remind you that God is your rock and your strength. That He is in control and wants you to cast all your cares on Him.

Trusting in God means that we lay our fears, hopes, dreams, and decisions at the foot of the cross. Picture yourself, palms down - literally laying those prayers and petitions at Jesus's feet. He wants you to do that. Christ wants us to let Him take those burdens for us. 
Why? 
Because He loves us. He cares for us. He has a reason. He has a plan.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your post. Trust and worry have always been huge issues for me. I have bookmarked the "50 scripture verses". Will be revisiting and reviewing those often.

    ReplyDelete