Thursday, June 20, 2013

Restless

When I was little and I had trouble sleeping, my mom would always tell me to just start praying for people I knew. So instead of counting sheep, I would pray for my family; from my great grandparents down to the youngest cousin. Then, if I hadn't fallen asleep yet, I would start praying for my friends. My mom's intention was to teach me that when you are restless, go to God. Well lately I've been restless. It's more than likely the 3 hour time difference/jet lag that's still bothering me from my trip to Indiana last week, but when I wake up at 6am or just can't sleep at night, I hear that little voice in my head saying, go to God.

I think God tries to get our attention when He knows it's been a while since our last good conversation. If we haven't taken the time to pray with God or dig into His Word, I think He has His ways of letting us know that He misses us and wants our attention. God also knows when there is unconfessed sin in our lives. His word tells us to confess our sins to Him and to ask forgiveness of our sins. If there is something in our lives that we know is a sin and we are not acknowledging it, He demands a response of confession and change. He may be calling us to pray for someone or some situation specifically. I've woken up in the middle of the night to pray specifically for someone I went to high school with; not knowing their situation, but knowing that God brought that name to mind for me to pray for them.  But whatever it may be, I know there is always peace in coming to Christ.

Matthew 11:28 says, "Come to me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."
Proverbs 14:30 says, "A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones."
James 5:16 says, "Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective."
1 John 1:9 says, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

Are you restless? Waking up in the middle of the night, or early in the morning? Do you hear the still, small, voice of God whispering in your ear? Is He saying that it's been a while since you've prayed to Him? Is He begging you to stop your sinful ways and change your life for Him? Is He sensing your anxieties and wanting to bring you peace? Go to Jesus, all you who are weary, and He will bring you rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment