Thursday, October 10, 2013

Just Ask

Several times throughout my recent devotionals and Bible study, this thought has been written and discussed. It's really quite simple and yet we often find it so hard to do.

Asking for what we need.

Seems easy enough, right? Well, maybe when it comes to everyday life. Like asking for help with cleaning around the house, or asking the hubby to take care of the kids for an evening. But what about asking your husband to pray with you at night before you go to bed? Or telling him you don't feel appreciated and asking him to help build you up with his words? What about asking your sister or best friend to watch your kids for an afternoon because you don't know how much more you can take and you just need a break? Or asking your boss for support on a project because you want to know someone has your back? These mental and emotional needs are tough, and they're tough to ask for help in. But if you don't ask for what you need, then you'll never get it.

What about your spiritual life? You might find it easy to thank God for your blessings, to ask for healing, protection, or help for others... but what about you? Do you find it hard to pray for yourself? Personally, I've never had an problems praying for myself - I knew only God could help me! But lately I've learned a little bit more about praying for specific things and asking for specific answers. No I'm not demanding of God, but I pray that if something is in His will, that He can grant me what I'm needing.

Lately, I've learned to ask for help to get through tough days with my teething one year old. I ask God to help me forgive my husband for things he says that are hurtful, and he doesn't even know it. I struggle with my thought patterns. My mind always leads to horrible things, thoughts of what-ifs, accidents, disease, etc. I've always struggled with it and recently God has revealed to me that I need to stop believing fears, doubts, and lies that do not come from Him. So I've been specifically praying for my through patterns to change. And when I feel like my mind is going down the wrong path, quickly, I stop and pray for God to take over my mind. I'm learning to ask for what I need and to be specific, because I know that God hears my prayers, He loves me, and He wants me to live an abundant life.

“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened."
Matthew 7:7-8


2 comments:

  1. I need to pray for my thought patterns to change too! Thankyou for your inspiring words!

    ReplyDelete