Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Moses

Hello Ladies!:] I am really excited to write this post because I really want to share with you what I learned in my Bible study this week.

In Beth Moores' study over Deuteronomy, her last lesson covers the last few chapters in Deuteronomy. She focuses on Moses and his death. I still can't believe Moses dies... he seems like the character in the Israelites story that is invincible and will never die! But obviously Moses was human and he did end up dying. Did you know that God told Moses where and when he would die??

Deuteronomy 32: 50-52
"There on the mountain that you have climbed you will die and be gather to your people, just as your brother Aaron died on Mount Hor and was gathered to his people. This is because you broke faith with me in the presence of the Israelites at the waters of Meribah Kadesh in the Desert of Zin and because you did not updold my holiness among the Israelites.Therefore, you will see the land from a distance, you will not enter the land I am giving the people of Israel."

Imagine knowing when you are going to die... Would you want to know? It is a difficult question to answer for me... I'd want to do some things that I otherwise wouldn't do. I'd definitely spend a lot of time with my family and friends! But it might be a little intimidating too. Anyway, I haven't even gotten to the really cool part yet!!!:]

If you read the last chapter on Deuteronomy, chapter 34, you will find out that Moses climbs the mountain(Mount Nebo) and God shows him the promise land from one end to the other. Imagine Moses' old eyes opening up and seeing clearly the land God was giving to the Israelites! Here is the neat part!

Deuteronomy 34: 5-7
"And Moses the servant of the Lord died there in Moab, as the Lord had said. He buried him in Moab, in the valley opposite Beth Peor, but to this day no one knows where his grave is. Moses was a hundred and twenty years old when he died, yet his eyes were not weak nor his strength gone."

Did you catch that?!?!?! GOD BURIED MOSES!!!!! And not only did he bury Moses but God placed his body in the valley... Moses died on the mountain and God moved him to the valley. A place where no one would ever find him!!! Holy cow! When I heard Beth putting all this together my heart skipped a beat! What a way to die... first God tells him where and when then Moses goes up that mountain knowing he would die there. God shows him the promised land, what he had been working toward his whole life. He sees it's beauty and dies in God's loving arms as He carries him down the mountain into the valley. What a way to go, in the very presence of Yahweh! I hope each of you learned something new or were reminded of the amazing life of Moses and God's promise to His people. Have a very blessed rest of the week ladies!!:]

P.S. If you would like to read up more connections and interesting facts of Moses and his death look up these verses:]

Deut. 1:31            Deut. 32: 10-12         Jude 1:9          Luke 9: 28-36

1 comment:

  1. So cool! I just started Tiffany's chronological reading plan and can't wait to get to that part! -Julie

    ReplyDelete