Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Methods of reading the Bible

Recently someone has asked me how to read the Bible. It's taken me awhile to find an answer to that question. There isn't one solution, there are many, everyone is different. Whether you've been in the Word fifty years or are just beginning, each of us are at different stages in our lives. If you haven't noticed... the Bible is rather large and might be a little intimidating or overwhelming at times. We get stumped with "Where do I begin?" or "What should I read or reread?" 



The important thing is when you find a method of study you like, commit to it. Some different methods are: Reading books, chapters, and verses in depth, trying to understand where, when, who, how and why. Another method is reading the Bible in a year and there are many different ways you can do this. I've done one where you read a little from the old testament, part of a psalm and some of the new testament! You can read it straight through or my personal favorite, chronologically! I'm so OCD I have to read it in the time order that it actually happened otherwise I get confused:] For any of these you can just search online for reading the bible in a year and there are many different ones. Get a Bible app on your smart phone! I like the ESV Bible app. It is free and doesn't use data so you can use it at home and on the go. 


I encourage you to spend time in the Word every day. That may mean waking up five minutes earlier to open your  Bible or not checking your email, facebook, instagram or whatever to make time for Yahweh! Get in the Word ladies:] If you don't know where to begin or are in need of a new way to study, ask! There are so many resources out there today. Find what works for you!

2 Timothy 3:16-17 ESV -- All Scripture is breathed out by God & profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, & for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

Psalm 119:18 ESV -- Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law. 


**Looking for some encouragement from others? Sign up to be a pen pal! Click HERE**

No comments:

Post a Comment