Wednesday, September 11, 2013

What if finishing well means... Not finishing?

In my bible study, Gideon by Priscilla Shirer, that I am doing with Tiffany, we learned about finishing a race. Some races you run alone from beginning to end but in relays you must pass the baton on to the next person. In life we have some of the same situations. Sometimes God calls us to complete a task on our own but other times He tells us our part is accomplished and we must pass the baton on to someone else to complete the task. I got to thinking about it and how hard is that ladies? Especially in today's age when women want to be independent and show men and other women that we can do everything! It is good we accomplish tasks but sometimes that isn't what God really wants from us! Sometimes He wants us to do our part then let someone else finish:] 

Let's take David for example. David really wanted to build a house for God. But God sent Nathan, a prophet, to tell David that one of his successors would build God's house instead. David had a choice when hearing this, either respond selfishly and hang on to the baton or prepare it to pass on! Here is what happened.

1 Chron. 22:11  "Now, my son, the Lord be with you, and may you have success and build the house of the Lord your God, as he said you would."  

v.14   "I have taken great pains to provide for the temple of the Lord a hundred thousand talents of gold, a million talents of silver, quantities of bronze and iron too great to be weighed, and wood and stone. And you may add to them."

v. 19   "Now devote your heart and soul to seeking the Lord your God. Begin to build the sanctuary of the Lord God, so that you may bring the ark of the covenant of the Lord and the sacred articles belonging to God into the temple that will be built for the Name of the Lord."  

29: 2-4   "With all my resources I have provided for the temple of my God - gold for the gold work, silver for the silver, bronze for the bronze, iron for the iron and wood for the wood, as well as onyx for the settings, turquoise, stones of various colors, and all kinds of fine stone and marble- all of these in large quantities. Besides, in my devotion to the temple of my God I now give my personal treasures of gold and silver for the temple of my God, over and above everything I have provided for this holy temple: three thousand talents of gold and seven thousand talents of refined silver, for the overlaying of the walls of the buildings."  

David did everything he could then happily passed on the baton to his successor Solomon. David didn't build the temple but he prepared for it. "Had David not done his part, Solomon could not have successfully done his." He knew that when God wanted him to stop his part of the project, even when the project wasn't finished. Do you have a task God wants you to start and later pass on to someone else? I pray that you will seek his will and see the seeds you have planted whenever God tells you your part in the task is over!!:]


**Looking for some encouragement from others? Sign up to be a pen pal! Click HERE**

1 comment:

  1. Hi Taylar! Thank you for passing along the wisdom you learned in your study. That is a great image you have there too, of passing the baton.

    There have been times in my life when I have not wanted or thought I should pass it. I wanted to complete the whole darn thing on my own. How silly! And exhausting too. God knows what I need, and what his children need too.

    Great post today!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete