Friday, March 8, 2013

DIY Treasure Jars


2 Corinthians 4:6-10
For God, who said, “Let there be light in the darkness,” has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ. We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves.
Isaiah 45:3
I will give you hidden treasures,
riches stashed away in secret places
so you may recognize that I am the Lord,
the one who calls you by name, the God of Israel.
_____________________________________________


Hi friends!  Here's a little DIY that you can do for fairly inexpensive.  I found the idea a while back on Pinterest from Rachel's Nest. I've been saving jars for a few weeks now in anticipation of making these some day & decided I would make them for my mama for her birthday which is later this month. (Spoiler alert: Mom, I know you're reading this so, SURPRISE!) 

All you need is:
1) A glass jar(s) - I used old spaghetti sauce jars 
2) A decorative cabinet knob(s)
3) Spray Paint
4) An electric drill

The first thing you're gonna have to do is get the labels off of your jar.  This is a son-of-a-booger to do and will most likely be the most time consuming part of your project.  I rubbed mine with olive oil and let them sit for about 20 minutes.  I then scraped them off under hot running water.  It took a while but worked well.

I then drilled holes in the lids using an electric drill. (Okay, I had my husband drill them, but who's keeping track?? I can use the drill myself but he gets way more joy out of using the power tools than I do!)


The next step is to spray paint the lids.  I happened to have some aluminum colored paint on hand so this is what I used.


Once the paint dried I screwed on the knobs that I had chosen.  I found these at Anthropologie.  They have the cutest decorative knobs (but definitely not the cheapest!).  They usually have cute knobs in their clearance section but this time they were pretty wiped out.  I couldn't resist these anyway though because they match the colors my mom is using in her newly remodeled kitchen.  You can find knobs at Home Depot or Lowes and I've also heard they have them at Michael's craft stores.  
*The large flower knob I was able to get for half price because it had a small chip on the edge of one of the petals.  I asked the manager if she would discount it and she did.  Never hurts to ask!


I'm super happy with the finished product!




No comments:

Post a Comment