Thursday, March 28, 2013

{Guest Post} Why people don't need him.

My name is Lauren McGuire and I am an Army brat who has settled in the South with my husband and three kids.  After working in a corporate environment for several years we began to hear God calling me to a new season.   I started a blog around a small business that God planted in my heart and a year and a half later, I had baby #3. I left my corporate job of 8 years to focus on my family and whatever God decided to do with this blog/small business.  Originally my writing focused on style and closet organization but, like most creative processes, it has morphed into writing about what I love.  You'll see style posts, closet and organization ideas, family posts and posts where I share my heart on what God is speaking to me about in the moment.  I love organizing, I love dressing up, and I love Jesus.  I hope you'll have a visit and be encouraged!




Why People Don't Need Him
 
For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.  Mathew 5:20, NIV

I'm reading through Mathew right now and am in the place where Jesus famously launches His earthly ministry - The Sermon on the Mount.  He begins with the beatitudes of "Blessed are the" ...notarity, moves through being Salt and Light and then hits us with this:  He is the fulfillment of the law AND we have to do better than the Pharisees and Teachers of the law or we'll miss it entirely.

The law was the description of perfect, godly living.  It describes the impossible tasks around being holy.  The Pharisees and Teachers were the cream of the crop in their day who had committed their lives to studying the law and becoming experts on it.  You would think this pursuit would make them holy, humble, but often Jesus points out how greatly flawed they actually are.  They lacked humility and trust. They were too bound by human entrapment's (power, leadership, affluence, knowledge and education) to humble themselves before Jesus.  They were caught up in their own mini-kingdom to receive the kingdom of heaven.

It got me thinking, what mini-kingdoms do we get caught up in?  Why do people now, as well as when Jesus walked with them, say they don't need Him?

Our kingdoms don't have to be sprawling to be traps.  You don't have to be the CEO of a major company to feel like you have a kingdom.  The lure of leadership and affluence can be found in the the big fish in small pond scenarios of the everyday - leader of a small/medium/large business, a volunteer organization (PTA anyone?), a book club.  Leaders of homes and children as well as adults and movements.  A person can get so enamored with leading that they don't see the need for Christ.

Then there are the multiple other detractors from need: church hurt and hypocrisy, childhood wounds, pride, distraction, busyness, lack of worth, etc.  Not to mention the S word (sin - lots of people think they are pretty good and don't need forgiveness) and the fact that the bible takes a pretty strong stance on some social issues that are pretty hotly debated in our present culture.

So how can I, as a Christian, overcome these obstacles?

I can't.

(whhhooo, did she just say that?!)

I can't.  Only God can.  Only God calls.  Only Jesus saves.  All I can do is live out my faith the best I can, keeping a posture of humility, being broken and remade.  Humble and pliable. Ready to love and forgive.  I can build relationships with others to bridge the cultural gap between believers and non-believers.  I can take risks and be vulnerable with my heart knowing that my worth is deeply rooted in Jesus rather than in the opinions and affections of others.  Then I can share Him, lovingly, gently, hopefully humbly.  And let Him do the hard work of changing hearts.


1 comment:

  1. Awesome post... so well written. The last 3 sentences really hit home. Thank you so much!!! ~Julie

    ReplyDelete