Thursday, March 14, 2013

What are you waiting for?

Once in a while this thought really hits me... "What are you waiting for?"

Sometimes in our busy lives we are looking forward to the next thing planned... the next trip or vacation, the next birthday, the next big event in our lives. A few years ago, a guy I grew up with died instantly in his home; his heart stopped beating. He had only been married for 15 months. A few weeks ago, my college roommate's husband died suddenly from a blood clot. He was married with a one year old at home. They didn't have "the next thing."

Today as I picked up my 7 month old son from his crib after a nap, I was overcome with joy and love for him. I waited for that miracle for a while, and now that I have him, I love him so incredibly much. I understand a "Mother's love" now and I hugged him close and told him I loved him and thought about how long I will get to love this little boy. My husband came home from work a little early and we all just played in our bed, tickled Miles, made him laugh. Then we took a little nap. These little things in life... these everyday moments... are the essence of God's love and life for us. And I had to stop and think about... why do I keep thinking about what the next big moments in my life are (the next trip home to Indiana, the next little vacation, the next time I'll hang out with friends...), when the little moments can sometimes be the most important.

I never really lived by phrase "live everyday to the fullest" or "live like it's the last day of your life." Until my friend died a few years ago. It quickly hit me that you're next moments are never guaranteed. And we may never understand why God chooses for things to happen, but he does tell us not to worry and that He has a plan for our lives. So enjoy those little moments... those everyday things, please don't take them for granted. Hug your children and tell them you love them... kiss your spouse so deeply and tell them what they mean to you... get in contact with friends and spend quality time with them. Take advantage of the time you have with people and the testimony you can be to others.

What are you waiting for?


1 comment: